Why do dogs eat other dogs poop?

Why do dogs eat other dogs poop
Dog eating other dogs poo

Why do dogs eat other dogs poop?

There are many bad disgusting habits our dogs have, from drinking from to the toilet, licking their butts, to eating other pets poop, usually cat poop, other dogs poop, etc. The scientific name for this behavior is called Coprophagia, literally translated as “the consumption of feces”. Many dogs owners don’t like it, but don’t worry if you have a poop eater, there are effective ways to stop this bad habit. And of course, you should discourage your dogs from eating poop as it could be bad for their health.

[icon name=”paw” class=”” unprefixed_class=””] Facts about Coprophagia in dogs:

  • Coprophagia is more common in multi-dog households. In single-dog homes, only 20% of dogs had this habit, while in homes with 2 or more dogs, it increases to 33%.
  • 92% of poop eaters dogs want fresh stuff, only 1 or 2 days old.
  • 15% of poop eaters dogs will eat both of their own feces and that of other dogs, and the other 85% will only eat feces of other dogs.
  • Poop eaters dogs are no harder to house-train than any other dogs.
  • Greedy dogs who steal food off the table, tend also to be poop eaters.
  • few dogs will eat soft, poorly formed stools or diarrhea. Most of dogs tend to be attracted to hard stools.
  • Female dogs are more likely to have this habit.

[icon name=”paw” class=”” unprefixed_class=””] Why dogs eat other dogs poop? How to stop my dog from eating poop?

Enzyme deficiency:

Digestive enzymes are an important component of all dogs’ digestive process, and without them, they can’t properly absorb their food. Basically they will poop out nutrients undigested. If they are not getting enough enzymes from the food they’re eating.. they may start to crave that feces they just rid themselves because it’s full of nutrients. That’s why always feed your dog a good quality food, so you make sure that he is getting all of the nutrients he needs, including protein, fats, minerals, vitamins etc..


Make sure you are feeding your dog enough food. Sometimes your dog may eat poo because he needs to eat more than what you’re currently feeding him. A hungry dog will look for other food sources you may not like. How much your dog should be eating and how often are based on his weight, race, activity and age.


Boredom can play a role in how your dog behaves, include eating poop. If your dog is left alone with not much to do, and there happens to be some poop within his view, he may find a new way to entertain himself. That’s why you have to make sure that your dog is getting all the exercise, playtime and attention he needs, to help prevent this habit. And always pick up after your dog immediately before he even gets the chance to think about it.

Cleanliness and puppies:

When the mother cleans up after her puppies to keep the nest clean (which is a normal behavior), some of the pups may end up having this behavior. It first appears in puppies they are about 4 to 9 months old. And also puppies can get curious sometimes and decide to eat some of feces as an exploration.


Dogs eat their own poop to grab the attention of their owners. So if you see your dog eating poop, don’t overreact. If you have already reacted several times to his behavior by getting upset for example, your dog may continue to do it just for your reaction, even if it’s a negative one.

Read next: Are Dachshunds good dogs?

2 thoughts on “Why do dogs eat other dogs poop?”

  1. that is dusksding my dogs are just starting just to not eat poop and i don’t like it jay green.


Leave a Comment