Many dog owners ask what human food can puppies eat? Well, While many human foods, including fruits and vegetables, are perfectly safe for us, some are very unhealthy and sometimes can be toxic and dangerous to dogs and especially puppies. Dogs digest differently than humans, and not eating the right food can lead to some health issues, in severe cases, even death.
So what human food can puppies eat?
- Vegetables: Cooked or raw veggies such as broccoli, Green beans, Pumpkin, peas can be great treats for your puppy, see here in details, what vegetables can puppies eat.
- Lean meat: Small pieces of chicken, turkey and lean beef are good, but avoid pork meat as it may be too hard for a puppy to digest. Also make sure the meat you give your dog is free of cooked poultry bones or ham bones, which can splinter.
- Nuts: Nuts have a lot of health benefits when included in a human diet, especially Brazil nuts, here are some nuts that your dog can eat: Peanuts, Peanut Butter, Roasted Chestnuts, Brazil nuts.
- Fruits: Remember to remove the seeds or pits that can be toxic or cause blockages. Blueberries are a super food rich in antioxidants, which prevent cell damage in humans and pets alike. Oranges are an excellent source of vitamin C, potassium, and fiber. Pears are a great snack because they’re high in copper, vitamins C and K, and fiber. Banana and melon also are fine for puppy treats.
- Starches: Dogs can eat potatoes, rice, and bread. But it should be limited to small amounts as they are high in calories.
- Milk: Dogs love milk, but mamma dog milk is different than the cow’s milk people drink. Cow’s milk can be hard for puppies to digest and may cause them diarrhea. Instead, try offering goat milk, which is better than cow’s milk.
Do puppies need a lot of food?
Yes, puppies need to take in a lot of calories in their first 5 months, to fuel their rapid growth. You can give them about twice as many per pound as an adult dog of the same breed. And if you want to give them scraps from your table, it should not make up more than 10% of the total daily calories. People food for puppies isn’t necessarily terrible, especially in small amounts.
Enjoy treating your puppies with healthy foods, but be aware that some people food is poisonous for puppies. Here is a list of human food to avoid:
- Chocolate, Coffee and Caffeine
- Sweets flavored with artificial sweeteners
- Grapes and Raisins
- Onions, Garlic, Chives
Now, we hope you know what human food can puppies eat, and if you have any questions, do not hesitate to ask us in the comments section below.