How to get my dog to do as it is told?
- Getting your dog to do as it is told can be a little hard, and will take some time and patience, but it’s worth it and it’s gonna save you much time later in the future. (We all know that owning a dog is time consuming, and if they are not listening to your commands, it can be very troublesome and it will consume you much more time). A well trained dog can keep you both out of troubles, preventing him from chasing cats, running in streets, chewing your shoes, jumping on people and other bad annoying habits.
To get your dog to do as it is told, for instance to let go a shoe he chewing on, or to stop doing something they shouldn’t do use the word “leave it” or choose whatever word or sound you want, just use that command only when you don’t want them to do it.
Also repeat that word constantly because It can take hundreds or maybe thousands of repetitions for some dogs to learn a new command. Like this your dog will start identifying the command and understand what you want it to do.
Remove your dog’s excess energy because when your dog is eager to do something, his only focus is to release all that excess energy inside. A daily walk or some daily physical activities will go a long way, and your dog should just be fine.
Finally, make sure that your training is positively motivated, and never forget to immediately praise your dog with some treats when he does the right thing, because dogs love to be praised and they are more likely to remember that you gave them a treat than you shouted loud at them. Also give your dog a variety of treats so he won’t become bored getting the same treat every time.
Some people take their dogs to a special trainer, cause they think they are not able to do it themselves, but if you train your dog properly from the start you don’t have to think about the expensive training classes.
P.S: your dog should be trained by only one person, this will avoid confusion.
How do you train a puppy not to pee indoors?
- Training your puppy not to pee or poo in the house takes a lot of patience, calm and consistency. Let’s say it’s one of the first challenges you will face when training your puppy. Never shout at your puppy and never hit it when they have an accident, this will only extend the process time as well as making your puppy shy and weak (and probably you’ll see more accidents around your house if you hit it, because it is scared), also keep in mind that puppies have no idea where to pee or poo and they never do it on purpose.
– If you follow this during the training, the process will be simple and easy.
The best way to train a puppy no to go toilet, is to keep your eyes on it and pick it up whenever you see it about to pee or poo and take it to the place you want it to do it in.
Also you can use a word when taking it to its toilet area, for instance “go pee” or “go toilet” or you can pick any word you like cause it doesn’t matter what you say as long as you say it repeatedly, this will save much time later, some puppies will learn it quickly than some others.
This works also with the puppy pads (large square absorbent pads), the pads aren’t for everyone, but they can be useful if you puppy doesn’t have outdoor access, and also they work well for assisting sick or aging dogs.
Also never forget to praise you puppy every time when he finishes its job in the appropriate area and let it know that it has pleased you. And like all dogs love to be praised, they will always please you in the future! And always clean up the accidents instantly and replace the puppy pad with a new one once it has been used.
How often should I bathe my dog?
Baths provide many healthy benefits to your dog, as well as keeping it clean, making it smell better and fresh, and keeping its coat in a glossy look. Also it gives you a chance to check your dog, because with the fur wet, you can detect things that you may have missed. But how often to bathe your dog? Well this depends on your dog’s breed, coat, health and how active it is.
Bathing your dog too much can be bad for him. Sometimes It can irritate its skin, dry out its natural body oils, damage its hair follicles and more.. But generally a normal dog needs a bath once every month or once every 2 months, because like we said we don’t wanna cause them some health and skin problems. Of course unless your dog’s smell doesn’t bother you or your dog is not covered with dirt.
Also always bath your dog with a quality dogs shampoo, don’t use your own, because human shampoos can damage their skins and sting their eyes. You’ll need to dry well your dog with a hair dryer or a towel, especially if they have folds in their skin such as Bulldogs and Pugs, to avoid a cold and skin infections. And maybe a perfume to make your doggy smells good and fresh.
– A quick tip: Always bathe you dog’s body first, and its head last, cause dogs tend to shake once their head is wet.
How to get your puppy used to its new environment?
- If you are going to bring your new dog into your home or going to take it to another new place, make sure you read this key guidelines, and the process will be easier on both you and your doggy.
- Puppies can get very stressed in a new home, it can be a scary place for them in the first days, and it will take some time for them to adjust to the new sights, smells and sounds.
- To help your dog feel comfortable in a new environment, set up a good regular routine for him. Walks, feeding, exercise and other daily activities as much as you can, Knowing that some dogs love being near their owners no matter what he is doing.
- Dogs without plans or routines will not adjust quickly to their surroundings, will get exhausted and also you’ll find it hard to potty train them.
Take your puppy out and make sure he gets much new experiences, let him meet other dogs, also introduce him to children, just make sure they don’t jump up on him, otherwise you will finish up with a dog that doesn’t like children as much as a lot of problems in the future.
Also give your dog some attention, take care of him and show him some extra love. So he can feel comfortable in its new home.
If your dog doesn’t seem to be adjusting after a few weeks, you may need to consult a veterinarian .
Also puppies need different injections that protect them from many infections and immunize them before they can get out from the house into their new environment.
- Sometimes the new change and new environment can affect you dog’s behavior and make it difficult and complicated, but this doesn’t mean your dog is bad and can’t change, it’s just a transient period. All you need is to stay positive and have a little of patience.
What should I feed my dog?
- Every dog needs a good diet and nutrition, and it’s important especially for a puppy’s growth and development.
- Feeding your dog cheap food is actually a false economy as it can affect your dog’s health and you may then need to visit a veterinarian and spend more money than you do on his food.
That’s why always when looking for foods for you dog, whether if you are going to make it at home, or buy it from a store, you need to make sure it’s rich in proteins, carbs, healthy fats, fibers, vitamins and minerals, in order to grow and stay healthy.
- Your dog can live off scraps from your meals, but only if what you are eating is healthy and quite balanced, a bit of rice, which is rich in carbs and fibers, little of meat as a source of protein, and some vegetables or fruits, just be careful what you are feeding your dog, cause some foods are poisonous to dogs, such as raisins, chocolate, onions, salt etc.. If you have some doubt about some ingredients, it’s better to consult your vet or do some research.
- It’s a good idea to buy your dog something they can chew on, as it works to clean their teeth, freshen bad breath and reduce plaque and tartar build up.
- Also you should not give your dog lot of treats. Too many treats means too many calories, too many calories can result in obesity.
- After all, a home made diet could be healthier for dogs than bought dog food as it may contains less preservatives and other chemicals. But if you consist to feed your dog a bought dog food or you don’t have time for cooking, you can ask a veterinarian or a breeder for suggestions.
- Another important thing, water is very essential to your dog’s health, especially in summer and hot weathers. So always keep the water bowl filled up for your dog.
How often do I have to exercise my dog?
- All dogs need to exercise daily, because without physical activities, your dog will become bored, discouraged, unhealthy and they are also prone to overweight if they do not burn off the extra calories they take in during the day. physical activities also helps reducing the bad habits, such as chewing, digging or scratching, excessive barking and more..
- How often you should exercise your dog depends on your dog’s breed, size, age and overall health. But generally your dog should spend between half an hour to two hours on an physical activity each day.
Smaller breeds such as Chihuahuas, Beagles and Yorkshire Terriers and giant breeds such as Mastiffs and Great Danes, are less active dog and they require anywhere from half an hour to 1 hour of exercise every day, of course, the activities
depend on your dog’s age and ability.
Large dogs and active dogs such as Retrievers, Hounds, collies and Shepherds tend to need more exercise, something between 1 hour to 2 hours daily.
Flat nosed breeds, such as Pugs and Bulldogs are brachycephalic dogs, which means they have some breathing problems. And they will not need a lot of exercise, if they start panting it’s time to take a break, and maybe a nice calm walk around the neighborhood at night should be fine, especially if you are busy with work or you have some family responsibilities.
Puppies are very energetic, but they get tired quickly, and they don’t need as much exercise as an adult dog. In general, they need require anywhere from 10 to 15 minutes each day, playing a little with your puppy should be sufficient.
- Finally and before you start an exercise plan with your dog, it’s better to visit a veterinarian first for a quick consultation, and maybe he can recommend you an exercise program that is suitable for your dog’s breed, age and ability.