Can dogs eat courgettes?
Courgette is safe and great for humans to eat, It provides many health benefits for them. But, is it safe for dogs? Read on as we share with you some amazing facts.
Courgette or Zucchini, is a summer squash that’s native to the Americas. Courgettes are low in calories (100g of zucchini has only about 17 calories), It belongs to the species Cucurbita pepo, along with a few other types of squashes and pumpkins. It can be dark or light green.
So, can dogs eat courgettes? Yes, courgette is perfectly safe for dogs to eat. Actually it’s one of the best vegetables to feed dogs, but this doesn’t mean you should feed your dog excessive amounts of the vegetable. Moderation is always needed.
Courgette, like we said it’s a low calories squash, 2 or 3 calories per slice. It’s low in fat and cholesterol and won’t contribute to your dog’s weight gain. What makes it an excellent treat for dogs that need to lose weight! It can also increase the healthiness of your dog’s skin and fur due to its abundant supply of vitamin and minerals.
Zucchini benefits for dogs:
Courgette is full of nutrients, it’s a great source of Vitamin C (which provides antioxidants), vitamin A and some of the B vitamins (such as Vitamin B6 and Folate), Potassium, Magnesium, and fiber. If your dog’s regular food lacks these nutrients then squash can complement his diet.
- Potassium: is essential in boosting muscle growth. And also helps your dog digest and absorb nutrients faster.
- Fiber: improves your dog’s digestion so he more effectively absorbs necessary nutrition.
- Vitamin C: Help with degenerative conditions, like joint disease.
How much Zucchini should I feed my dog?
Even if courgette is safe for dogs, feeding them large amounts can lead to digestive upset, and you should always observe your dog any time you offer a new food item.
Zucchini is considered as a treat, and veterinarians recommend feeding all treats in moderation, less than 10% of your dog’s daily calories. All you have to do is figure out what 10% of your dog’s daily calories would be and stay well beneath that limit. Cause the total daily calories for a large dog are not the same for a small dog.
How to give Courgette to my dog?
- It’s best to chop courgette into small pieces if feeding it raw, as it can pose a choking hazard for your dog. Feeding an entire courgette to your dog is not a good option.
- You can also cook it or steam it for dogs that have difficulty chewing.
- Or you can slice it and freeze it to use as a cold treat in the summer.
See also: Are black olives bad for dogs?Posted on