Unlike other reviews on the internet, our review is part like a personal review, we research the web tracking down what other people are stating about the best dog life vests and what rating out of 10 they gave them. The benefit from this is that you save time! Go ahead and read as we share with you some amazing life vests.
[icon name=”paw” class=”” unprefixed_class=””] Do dogs really need life jackets even if they are good swimmers?
Most people think that all dogs are born with good swimming skills. But that’s not true, some dogs know how to swim yes but most dogs are not naturally good swimmers and they do need a life jacket. Even the best swimmers need a life jacket! Because dogs are like humans even if they can swim and like to enjoy water they can have troubles in water sometimes (overweight, age, tiredness and fatigue, Rough water, bad weather conditions, noises and more) and it’s not just the ocean that can cause serious troubles, but also swimming pools, lagoons and lakes. That’s why you should have at least one Jacket life for your doggy at home.
Certain dog breeds are better at swimming than others but a life jacket can be always useful, no matter how good a swimmer you think your doggy might be. Whenever you are near any type of water, even if you are not planning to take out your dog to swim, a life coat is needed.
When camping or boating for example, make sure your puppy is wearing a life vest or at least it should be one available on the boat. A dog life coat also makes your dog more visible in the water, raises your dog’s head high to keep water away from his ears and nose! And also keeps your dog warmer too.
Quick Overview: Best dog life vests
[icon name=”paw” class=”” unprefixed_class=””] OUR TOP 10 PICKS
We all know that it’s hard to find the perfect dog life vest for your puppy.. so here is a list of top 10 dog life vests that would be great for your dog. Their ratings are based on the quality, features and price!
#10. EzyDog Micro Doggy Flotation Device (DFD)
This dog life jacket is designed SPECIFICALLY for small dogs under 15 pounds, to help them maintain an easy, natural swimming position without restricting their swimming movement. Made of Heavy duty polyester material for durability with Adjustable REFLECTIVE Straps for an ergonomic secure fit and more visibility at night! Available in the red and yellow color.
Some favorable reviews from other pet owners:
- “It fits my Miniature Schnauzer perfectly and she is very happy with the present”
- “This Jacket worked great, solid design and easy on and off”
- “Awesome. Now our Jack Russell can play in water for hours!”
- “Great for non-swimming Chihuahuas“
Read more reviews here
#9. Dog Life Jacket HE&HA PET Dog Life Vest with Chin Float for Large Dogs High Buoyancy Secure Dog Life Preserver
This dog life coat ensure safety, comfort and healthy conditions to every dog while in the water with high Buoyancy Built (Double padding, up to 60% more flotation) 100% safe for your doggy. And a Reflective trim makes dogs visible in all levels of light (in or out the water).
Available only in the orange color with many sizes.
Some customer reviews:
- “My German Shepherds love swimming in the lake with these. Makes them feel like super dog!”
- “Good quality and right size in my case.”
- “Fits our 60 lbs border collie very well. Durable material and excellent finish.”
- “Solved his fear of swimming almost instantly”
Read more reviews here
#8. Queenmore Ripstop Dog Life Jacket Coat Pet Safety Swimsuit Floatation Life Vest Preserver
Are you a dogs and sharks lover ? Well this life coat is for you! Made of high quality polyester which is waterproof and windproof with advanced breathable mesh underside for fast draining and drying. Strong handles on top help grabbing your doggy out the water.
This unique shark design can be used for all water activities as well as a Halloween costume. Available also in a mermaid look.
Online reviewers rated this dogs life vest 9/10:
- “Fits great! I have a 28 pound Boston Terrier and I got a medium”
- “my dogs love this! look so cute with the fin on back.”
- “This life jacket looks adorable on my little Yorkie poo”
- “Bought this for my golden retriever 60 lbs. Fits great, amazing quality, and super cute.”
Full reviews here
#7. Camo Pet Life Preserver Jacket,Camouflage Dogs Life Vests with Adjustable Buckles,Dog Safety Life Coats for Swimming, Boating, Hunting | (XS, S, M, L, XL).
Hunting dogs who enjoy playing and swimming around outdoors love wearing this dog life jacket with the featured camouflage print on it! It’s equipped with a durable Velcro reflective straps to ensure maximum security and visibility for your doggy. It will keep your puppy comfortable. It also dries quickly and wicks away moisture!
Available in 5 sizes, if you hesitate between 2 sizes choose the big one!
What customers stated about this one:
- “SUPERIOR QUALITY AND EASY TO PUT ON”
- “The material is great and my Labrador can swim in at all day without any irritation”
- “I have a Morkie and it fits him great.”
- “Met expectations of quality, delivery and performance.”
Other dog owners reviews here
#6. Vivaglory Dogs Life Jackets with Extra Padding for Dogs, Available in 5 Sizes & 7 Colors
This Vivaglory Dog Life Jacket is one of the best for dogs that love to join their owners swimming, boating, surfing etc.. It provides the perfect dog flotation, built with extra padding, up to 50% more flotation to keep your puppy safe in the water.
Available in XS to XL sizes and 8 colors (Including 3 BRIGHT colors).
The manufacturer also offers 90 days warranty.
Online customers rated this life coat 8.6 out of 10 stating:
- “It fits her perfectly and I am very pleased with the product overall”
- “Great flotation vest for my chihuahua, love it”
- “Great quality, thick padding, works well and looks great”
- “I purchased the color green and it is absolutely adorable on my Beagle”
See all the positive reviews here
#5. Kurgo Surf N Turf Dog Life Jacket
This kurgo dog life Jacket is great for swimming, boating, and many other outdoor activities. Designed to provide your active canine some buoyancy and comfort in the water. It Has two handles to help you easily control and pull out your puppy from the water. Available in a High contrast color with a reflective trim.
The manufacturer also offers a lifetime warranty so you can make your purchase without worrying.
Top positive reviews:
- “Would recommend this vest! Saved my pup’s life!”
- “This life jacket is AWESOME!! It works great for active dogs who don’t know when to stop”
- “My Shih Tzu now LOVES swimming, this helped her build loads of confidence!”
- “Both fit perfectly and work beautifully in the water”
See more helpful reviews here
#4. EzyDog Doggy Flotation Device Dog Life Vest Jacket (DFD)
This dog jacket is made of high quality materials for a long lasting usage, extensively tested, and it provides the best performance flotation and the most ergonomic comfort for your puppy wherever he roams. Your pooch can play as much as he want, it won’t restrict his natural movements.
It has also a reflective integrated trim to give your doggy more visibility in the water and also improved with night time safety.
Many sizes and colors are available!
Some positive reviews about this life coat:
- “Great Vest – every water dog needs one of these!!”
- “Border Collie. Chest 24″ Neck 14″ length 20″ fits great!”
- “Fits really well and looks very comfortable and sturdy.. Can attach go-pro to it”
- “Great quality swimming vest, my rottweiler loves it!”
Read here what other pet owners think!
#3. Paws Aboard Double Designer Doggy Life Jacket
This life vest is a sturdy quality but still lightweight, easy to carry easy to put on and off, and a little time to clean. It provides your dog more comfort and healthier conditions than traditional pet life jackets with reflective strips for maximum visibility, bright and unique design colors. Ultimate buoyancy at a cheap good price!
Many sizes and colors are available!
What other customers stated about this jacket:
- “Good material, good shape, and great color! No Regrets! 100% Recommendable!”
- “Fits perfectly for my 28 lbs cocker spaniel, love it”
- “High quality vest that I feel safely keeps my dog afloat with no problem”
- “Great Product for the Safety of your dog.”
More positive reviews here
#2. Ruffwear – K-9 Float Coat for Dogs, Buoyant, Secure, Reflective
This Float vest Life Jacket is made for the water with durable resistant anti scrape materials for a long lasting! your puppy can play in the pool all night long.
This Float vest Life Jacket is available in 6 sizes and 5 colors:
– 2xs, xs, small, medium, large, XL.
– Blue atoll, dandelion yellow, red currant, sockeye red, wave orange.
Reviewers rated this dog life coat 9.4 out of 10 and stated:
- “Works great…my Golden Retriever is much more confident in water.”
- “Worth every penny! Well made and will keep your pup safe.”
- “Great dog life jacket with easy lift handle, german shepherd approved!”
- “Wonderful RuffWear life jacket with flotation on the belly”
Full reviews report here
#1.Our top 1 pick: Outward Hound Dog Life Jacket Kyjen – Granby Splash
This life jacket is perfect for a beginner swimmer, helps dogs go further and swim longer with maximum buoyancy and also it keeps dogs warm while swimming. The handles can be used for pulling your dog out the water.
Available in sizes ranging from extra small to extra large (both small and large breeds). Also available in bright high visibility colors to help you quickly identify your puppy!
What customers think about this life coat:
- “Great fit, can enjoy the water knowing she’s protected!”
- “Great lifejacket! I ordered this for my mini long-haired dachshund”
- “BEST SUMMER INVESTMENT!!! We purchased 3 of these lifejackets for our 3 – 80 pound pitties.”
- “This life jacket is a perfect fit for my 6 lbs yorkie mix to keep her safe while out on our boat or walking down the docks.”
Read more customers reviews here
[icon name=”paw” class=”” unprefixed_class=””] What to consider before purchasing a dog life jacket!
[icon name=”paw” class=”” unprefixed_class=””] Buoyancy: Clearly you’ll want a dog life coat with the best buoyancy to keep your dog floating on the water.
[icon name=”paw” class=”” unprefixed_class=””] Color: Bright colored or reflective coats help your dog to stay visible in the water and protect him from boats and jet skies.
[icon name=”paw” class=”” unprefixed_class=””] Comfort: Make sure dog is relaxed, can sit and lie down without difficulty. Some materials are quite rough that can scrape your puppy’s skin, leading to inflammation. Choosing something soft and tender will be better.
[icon name=”paw” class=”” unprefixed_class=””] Handles: When you’ll be needing to drag your dog out of the water, you will need sturdy Handles at the canine’s life vest.
[icon name=”paw” class=”” unprefixed_class=””] Size and shape: Make sure to measure your dog’s girth and torso and choose a matching size life jacket that is the right form for your dog.
[icon name=”paw” class=”” unprefixed_class=””] Benefits of Taking Your Dog Swimming
[icon name=”paw” class=”” unprefixed_class=””] Exercise
All dogs need to burn the excess energy they have to avoid obesity, and swimming provide them this cause it’s like an exercise to them, keeps them healthy, active and refreshed. It is even more fun if you go swimming along with your dog and exercise some water activities.
[icon name=”paw” class=”” unprefixed_class=””] Cooling down
Dogs can have a difficult time staying cool during the hot weathers, cause they can’t perspire and cool themselves off via evaporation like we do, so they have to pant instead and have access to shade and water, water is swimming, even in a small kiddie pool, swimming keeps their temperature at a comfortable level.
[icon name=”paw” class=”” unprefixed_class=””] Swimming tires your dog out
After an exhausting day swimming and playing in water, your dog will get tired, and will sleep like the dead. And if your dog has some bad habits.. such as chewing, barking a lot, digging.. he will never think about it again!
In this article, we reviewed top 10 best dog life vests on the market today. So you are now full of knowledge and recommendations to help you choose the perfect vest for your dog.
So.. which life vest did you like? Feel free to tell us in the comments section!