Are dogs expensive to keep?
- Normally dogs are not expensive to keep, but many factors can make it costly. Unexpected veterinary trips are the most common and the most costly. But owning a mixed breed dog can limit the medical costs cause a mixed breed dog is more healthier than a Pedigree (purebred dog). Also Getting regular checkups can limit the medical costs because preventing illness is better than treating it later.
Generally, the most money you will have to spend will be on your dog’s food. The cost of food will vary from dog to another depending on their size, race etc.. But normally the food will cost approximately $20 to $25 per month.
- Also buying a cross breed dog or adopting a dog from the shelter can save you a lot of money than buying a Pedigree.
Other expenses to take into consideration are for bedding, toys, grooming equipment, puppy pads if needed, not to mention the one time expenses such as neutering, spaying, initial medical fees and a crate.
- Owning a dog demands fiscal responsibilities anyway and we need to take it more seriously, but always remember we own dogs because we adore them, and nothing should stop us from owning a dog that needs to take care of.
So what do you think, are dogs expensive or not? Feel free to tell us in the comments section!
Can my dog sleep in my bad?
- About 80% of dog owners share their bed or bedroom with their dogs. But, many people doing it doesn’t make it always right, sleeping with your dog in the same bed can be safe only if both of you are healthy. A healthy dog means he has no ticks, no fleas or other parasites, no illnesses, plus the regular vet checkups, and the up to date vaccinations.
- Also if your dog is well behaved, it’s fine that you share with them your bed, it will do nothing except comfort you and makes you feel good as well as satisfy your dog. But if your dog is aggressive or have some bad behaviors, it’s better to provide him with his own sleeping area.
- Again, if you are away from your home and your dog all day, and you want to maximize your time with your dog, and enhance the dog owner bond when you are home, the best and easiest thing to do is having them in the bedroom at night, as it won’t negatively impact your sleep.
- Children can also sleep with the family dog, but it’s not recommended for children under 6 years to sleep alone with a dog, especially with breeds that are not good with kids, such as Rottweilers, Dachshunds and Dobermans.
How do I stop my dog from digging?
- Some dog breeds just love to dig, such as Terriers, Dachshunds, and Beagles. As they were bred for hunting. So if you do have a yard, it should probably look like a mini war.
- You should accept the digging attitude as part of owning a dog, because it’s a natural instinct for most of them, and digging is no way to be completely stopped. Besides it’s an instinct, it can also be a lack of exercise, boredom, prey hunting, comfort, hiding something, so no one can find (maybe a bone or a toy), escape, attention seeking and more.
- Some dogs need more attention and exercise than others, that’s why you have to spend more time with them. Playing, running, walking, fetch, and any other activity that relieve their excess energy.
- The first reason why dogs dig is because they are simply bored, boredom also can cause other bad behaviors such as excessive barking and destructive chewing. And to stop dogs from being bored:
Take them to a dog park, let them meet other people, especially kids, and socialize with other new dogs, cause dogs are never bored if other dogs are present.
Exercise them with walks or runs at least 2 times every day, play fetch, play Frisbee (Frisbee your the dog a better chance of catching it in midair, which can be more tiring than playing fetch), provide them some entertainment with toys, especially if it’s still a puppy. A tired dog would never think again of digging.
Also, always keep your garden clean, remove fresh dirt, attractive smells, bones, toys, and any other thing that your dog may has buried.
What kind of toys will i get for my dog?
- There are countless dog toys out there in the market to choose from, and this can be a challenge for you.
- However, there are many things you should take into consideration before buying a toy for your dog.
1-Most dogs will get excited by a new toy but they will get tired of it quickly, that’s why you have to choose an interesting toy which they can actually play with for long, for example a strong rubber toy that you can fill with treats, filling a toy with treats can keep your dog engaged with it.
2-Make sure the toy is the right size for you dog’s mouth, because many dog toys are made for a specific dog breed.
3-Check if the toy is non toxic and completely safe for your dog, because there will be a lot of licking, playing and chewing.
4-Make sure the toy is extremely durable, especially if your dog is an aggressive chewer, such as Pit Bulls, Boxers and Labradors.
See here the top 10 most durable toys for dogs.
- Toys are dogs’ second best friend, they make them feel happy and comfortable.. fulfill their time when they are home alone or when you don’t have time to play with them. So here is some toys you can get for your dog:
1-Squeaky toys dogs, some dogs enjoy it and think of it as a prey and want to kill it, while some others are scared of that squeak. But if you are sensitive to noises, you may want to avoid this type of toys.
2-Tug toys are also great for dogs who love playing with their owners (tug of war).
3-Tennis balls, great for a game of fetch and catch, just make sure the ball is the right size for your dog’s mouth.
4-Plush toys are also loved by many dogs, they find them relaxing and comfortable.
- The only thing to do now is to enjoy your time with you best friend.
See also: How do I get my dog used to my car?Posted on